Yale SOMBelow are MBA admissions interview questions and experiences submitted by Yale SOM applicants. If you interviewed at Yale, we encourage you to submit a report detailing your experience!
I think I did fairly well in the Yale Interview. The questions were:
1. What do you think is the most important characteristic for a leader
2. What attributes do you look for when selecting a team
3. Do you think goods such as alcohol or tobacco should be taxed more? Why or why not?
My interviewer told me that the following questions were from a script he was supposed to follow:
1) How did you find and join your current employer?
2) Give an example of a time when you chose to be a team member and not a team leader. What lessons did you learn from that decision?
3) Explain how you deal with different types of people at work.
4) What is a quality that you admire in someone else that you wish you possessed yourself?
5) What do you plan to do after you earn your MBA and what steps have you taken already to support this decision?
6) What else should the AdCom know about you?
For my Yale SOM video interview, I was asked the following questions -
- What accomplishment are you most proud of?
- Difficult professional decision and how you overcame it?
- As business becomes more global, culture becomes less important… Agree or disagree
My Yale video interview consisted of the following questions:
- Einstein quote on knowledge vs imagination. Do you agree?
- Challenging work experience
- How would friends or coworkers describe you?
Last week, I did the video interview. Here are the questions as I remember them:
- What would your colleagues and friends say are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Please describe a creative solution that you have come up with for a problem.
- With businesses becoming more global, does the importance of local culture decrease or increase?
Hi, I took the Round 3 video interview.
1. What contribution did you provide for your company?
2. If you have a struggle with classmates, how will you solve it?
3. What is your biggest concern of the Admissions Committee in evaluating your application?
Conversational. Lasted for 40 mins. Very polite interviewer. He told me that he had only seen my resume, not the rest of the application, so he might be asking questions that I might have already answered in my essays and other parts of the application.
1. You have varied experience [read as job switches], can you please take me through them? (basically a resume walk)
2. What’s your long term goal, why MBA and what do you want to do after your MBA?
3. Leadership example!
4. What is that you don’t like about your job, something you wish it wasn’t there/ you don’t have to do it any further? (it took him some explaining)
5. Anything you would like to know more about Yale SOM?
6. What does interest you beyond work?
7. Anything else you would like to tell us that we haven’t covered?
After interacting with AdCom, I am even more excited about attending Yale.
Best of Luck!
Super Day included about 150 interviewees and a full day of events.
- 10am breakfast
- 11am intro with dean
- 1145 ‘mind games’ a mini class with a professor
- closing reception
You step out whenever you have your interview.
My interviewer and I actually had mutual friends, small world. The conversation was very informal. I probably ran on a bit since I was so excited/nervous about interviewing.
- Tell me about your current job and how you got it/there?
- Tell me a time when you were a leader?
- Tell me a time when you were behind deadline and what happened?
- Why an MBA and why Yale?
- Any questions for me?
In total it was about 40 minutes long.
Interview off campus with Yale SOM adcom. Conversational, though I was like the 6th interview of her day so she clearly had pre-set questions. As Yale states, she definitely had not seen anything more than a quick glance at my resume prior to the interview.
1. Why Yale SOM?
2. Time you weren’t going to meet a deadline? What lessons did you learn?
3. Example of leadership and working as a team. What lessons did you learn?
4. Why business school and why now?
5. Anything you want the Admission Committee to know that we didn’t cover?
Friendly interviewer – she was trying to sell me on Yale as much as I was trying to sell them on me. Bring some good questions to ask (applicable to any interview) and be sure you know what sets Yale apart (leadership for business and society)
I was really excited to visit SOM and felt that it was a great fit from what I had reach/heard from former and current students. The on-campus experience unfortunately was a disappointment. We spent most of our time crammed in two rooms with nothing to do, and the class visit was a painfully boring lecture. The class visit was followed by a campus tour which was hampered by the fact that the tour guides seemed like they didn’t even like the campus or New Haven (one of our tour guides noted that there is “absolutely nothing to do in New Haven”–not exactly the school’s best salesman to introduce to prosepective students. The campus tour ended with a lunch where none of the second year students spoke to myself and 3 other interviewees. We did not get a chance to see any of the new building, but we were told we could walk by ourselves if we’d like.
After the lunch, I had my interview. It was with a second-year student. The interviewer was very, very cold and did not seem interested in anything I said. It was all behavioral questions–tell me about a time you faced a deadline, tell me about a time you disagreed with your boss, tell me about a time you improved something in your office. It was all over the place and the only question that was straight-forward was “Why SOM.” I did not feel prepared for the questions and did not think it went very well.
I was accepted in the first round last week. I do not plan on going.
Pretty standard questions mostly:
- Explain why you choose your undergraduate school and what you did there.
- Explain how you got to your current job.
- If asked, how would your boss or client describe you?
- Tell me about a time you worked on a team.
Good luck all !