Yale School of Management Students Head to Entrepreneurial Boot Camp
Students from the Yale School of Management (SOM) were among 12 teams chosen from across Yale University to participate in a summer business boot camp for entrepreneurs, the business school announced this week.
SOM students Daniel Wolchonok ’13, Paul Christensen ’13 and Smita Venkat ’13 are all taking part in the 2012 Yale Entrepreneurial Institute (YEI) Summer Fellowship program, a 10-week program designed to support promising student-led startups.
YEI brings students from across the university’s different schools – including Yale College, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and the schools of management, law, medicine and forestry – to work with faculty, administrators, alumni and local established entrepreneurs to develop their ideas for start-ups. Since its founding in 2007, YEI has helped support more than 50 ventures, which together have raised more than $45 million in outside investment capital.
The SOM students form part of two of the 12 teams taking part in YEI this year. Wolchonok is working on an online services company called PrepWork that is designed to help users analyze interpersonal data to recognize connections and build stronger business relationships. Christensen and Venkat, together with a computer science graduate student, are working to develop a commercialization plan for a software program called “Mental Canvas” that lets designers explore ideas using sketches and photographs in a 3D environment.
“This has been a really holistic experience in terms of applying the concepts we learned during first year,” Venkat says. Wolchonok, for his part, notes that YEI is part of a surge of start-up energy and support on the SOM campus. “Entrepreneurship on campus is really growing,” he says. “There’s a lot of buzz among students and a lot of support for start-ups at SOM. It’s a golden age for Web entrepreneurs.”
Learn more about the Yale Entrepreneurial Institute.
- Yale School of Management Names Second New Senior Associate Dean (clearadmit.com)
- Yale School of Management Hosts Pre-MBA Leadership Program (clearadmit.com)
- Yale School of Management Revamps Leadership Development Program, Appoints New Director (clearadmit.com)
- Longtime Wharton Vice Dean Leaves to Join Yale School of Management (clearadmit.com)
Posted in: MBA News
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Clear Admit is a leading provider of MBA admissions advice and digital content.
Clear Admit provides the latest news on the world’s best business schools together with insider advice on MBA admissions. Founded by Wharton MBA graduates with extensive experience in business school admissions, Clear Admit has been cited by various media including The Economist, Wall Street Journal and Financial Times. Learn more >>
- Fridays from the Frontline: Kellogg First-Year Reflects on the Talent of Her Classmates
- Save $1,000 On GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
- Cornell / Johnson MBA Interview Report: Round 1 / Adcom / Skype
- IESE MBA Interview Report: Round 1 / Adcom / Off-Campus
- Top #MBA Tweets of the Week: Thanksgiving
- UCLA Anderson MBA Alum Wants to Help De-Clutter Your Life
In-depth profiles of leading MBA programs in the U.S. and abroad
Step-by-step guides for the entire application process
Resources covering school-specific interview information, questions and strategy
FREE overviews of the world's leading graduate business programs