California Business Schools Somewhat Buffered from State Budget Cuts
The University of California system is grappling with a $800 million budget cut, but its business schools have been less seriously impacted than some other areas because less of their funding comes from state coffers, the Financial Times reports.
Professional schools like UCLA’s Anderson School of Management and Berkeley’s Haas School of Business, because they cater to executives as well as students, draw a much smaller proportion of their funding from the state than do undergraduate schools, the FT reports. They also raise more through philanthropic donations and other revenue streams, the FT added.
“We are on a sound financial footing,” Haas Dean Richard Lyons told the FT, adding that the school’s range of MBA programs and its masters in financial engineering have helped cushion the effect of the budget cuts. “They have become very helpful revenue streams in a downturn,” he said.
Haas also has worked to increase philanthropic giving, though it still falls short of levels enjoyed by private universities, Lyons added.
UCLA Anderson, too, has worked to encourage greater philanthropic giving in an effort to reduce reliance on public funds, the FT reports. “We get about 20 per cent of our budget from the state. As long as the other 80 per cent is fairly robust, we will be less affected [by cuts],” Anderson Dean Judy Olian told the FT. Even so, Anderson was forced to raise tuition fees by 10 to 12 percent and cut some staff salaries in order to absorb the state budget cuts.
Though business schools, with their alternate revenue streams, are less impacted by the current budget crisis, Olian stresses that legislators can’t let education’s share of state revenue continue to shrink. “I think that is short-sighted. Higher education is the future of a knowledge-based economy,” she told the FT.
To read the full story, click here.
Posted in: MBA News
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Clear Admit is a leading provider of MBA admissions advice and digital content.
Clear Admit provides the latest news on the world’s best business schools together with insider advice on MBA admissions. Founded by Wharton MBA graduates with extensive experience in business school admissions, Clear Admit has been cited by various media including The Economist, Wall Street Journal and Financial Times. Learn more >>
- MIT Sloan Admissions Committee Shares Round 1 Updates
- Stanford GSB, School of Engineering Confer 100th Online Certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- The Week Ahead: MBA Deadlines and Decisions
- Admissions Tip: Interviewing the Interviewer
- Columbia MBA Admissions Interview Report: Early Decision / Alum / Off campus
- Fridays from the Frontline: Kindergarten Teacher, with MBA from Ross, Pursues Lifelong Tech Dream
In-depth profiles of leading MBA programs in the U.S. and abroad
Step-by-step guides for the entire application process
Resources covering school-specific interview information, questions and strategy
FREE overviews of the world's leading graduate business programs